Unofficially, I’m a Generation X Ambassador to Millennials and Generation Z. Officially, I’m an Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture at the University of Oklahoma where I teach beginning and advanced studios, construction materials and details, planting design, and a GenEd E-B course.
My research seeks to understand the influence of the built environment on human development. I have a particular interest in working with vulnerable populations, specifically children and children living with disabilities.
I hold a PhD in Design and a Masters of Landscape Architecture from North Carolina State University and have professional licensure in North Carolina.
The Routledge Handbook of Designing Public Spaces for Young People: Processes, Practices and Policies for Youth Inclusion is now available for purchase!
The handbook is a 4 year labor of love, and I'm pleased to announce its release. A summary of each chapter is provided free of charge to assist practitioners, policy makers, and researchers in youth inclusion. Please follow the link (https://bit.ly/3g6EdT8), scroll to the bottom, and click on the zipped folder "All Takeaways" to view the summaries.
Book press and reviews:
- Little, Sarah, and Art Rice. (2021). Considering Autonomous Exploration in Healthy Environments: Reflections from an Urban Wildscape. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 18(22), 11867. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph182211867.
- Little, S., & Rice, A. (2021). At the Intersection of the Social and Physical Environments: Building a Model of the Influence of Caregivers and Peers on Direct Engagement with Nature. Geographies, 1(1), 63-78. Retrieved from https://www.mdpi.com/2673-7086/1/1/5
- Little, S. (2020). Engaging Youth in Placemaking: Modified Behavior Mapping. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(18), 6527. Retrieve from: https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/17/18/6527.
- Little, S. (2020). Experiential accessibility: A therapeutic approach to the design of the public realm. In J. Loebach, S. Little, A. Cox, & P.E. Owens (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of Designing Public Spaces for Young People: Processes, Practices and Policies for Youth Inclusion. New York: Routledge.
- Loebach, J., Cox, A., & Little, S. (2020). Behavior mapping as a tool for capturing the activities of youth in public spaces. In J. Loebach, S. Little, A. Cox, & P.E. Owens (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of Designing Public Spaces for Young People: Processes, Practices and Policies for Youth Inclusion. New York: Routledge.
- Loebach, J., Little, S., Cox, A., & Owens, P.E. (Eds.). (2020). Routledge Handbook of Designing Public Spaces for Young People: Processes, Practices and Policies for Youth Inclusion. New York: Routledge.
- Harris, J. & Little, S. (2019). Mapping hope: Informal settlement youth and lessons for aspirational urbanization. Urban Forum, 30(3), 289-306. doi:10.1007/s12132-019-09361-9.
- Little, S. (2019). Gather together. topos: European Landscape Magazine, 106, 70-73.
- Little, S. & Cox, A. (2019). Advancing Design Research: Creating a new framework from three approaches to case study research. Landscape Research Record, 8, 333-342. Retrieve from: https://thecela.org/wp-content/uploads/LRRv8_FINALv3.pdf.
- Cox, A., Loebach, J., & Little, S. (2018). Understanding the Nature Play Milieu: Using Behavior Mapping to Investigate Children’s Activities in Outdoor Play Spaces. Children, Youth and Environments, 28(2), 232-261. doi:10.7721/chilyoutenvi.28.2.0232.
- Little, S. & Derr, V. (2018). The Influence of Nature on a Child’s Development: Connecting the outcomes of human attachment and place attachment. In A. Cutter-Mackenzie, K. Malone, & E.B. Hacking (Eds.), International Research Handbook on ChildhoodNature: Assemblages of Childhood and Nature Research. New York: Springer. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-51949-4_10-2.
- Little, S. & Loon, L. (2016). The Hybrid Zone in Divergent and Convergent Thinking. In Amoroso, N. (Ed.) Representing Landscapes: Hybrid (pp. 72-85). New York, NY: Routledge. doi:10.4324/9781315618197.
- Kelley, K., Little, S., Lee, J. S., K. C., B., & Henderson, K. (2014). Articulating Meanings of Positive Adjustment to Aging through Physical Activity Participation among Older Adults. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 32(1), 63-77.